Brighton Naked Bike Ride to celebrate our 'One World'
April 18, 2017, Brighton, UK. Press Dispensary.
Brighton's World Naked Bike Ride will return to the city streets on Sunday 11 June. This year participants will celebrate a 'One World' theme - uniting the global protest's aims of empowering cyclists, campaigning against oil dependency and pushing for an increase in safe, sustainable transport.
Nick Sayers, ride co-organiser, said: "From Brexit to Trump, recent politics have been tumultuous and divisive, and are threatening commitments to protect human rights and the environment. The World Naked Bike Ride is a reminder that issues such as clean air, a stable climate and the right of cyclists to safe, shared road space affect people all over the world, and are as crucial as ever."
He added, "it's also great fun, and this year just happens to be the 200th anniversary of the invention of the bicycle! Something well worth celebrating."
Truly a global protest, Brighton will join over 15 rides in the UK, several across Europe, and over 50 worldwide. Most northern hemisphere rides take place around June.
Although the ride is free to attend, it relies on donations to cover costs. A crowdfunding support campaign has been set up at http://youcaring.com/BrightonNakedBikeRideFundraiser
- please give generously if you can.
The ride will assemble from 12 noon at the Level park, Union Road, BN2 3FX and will roll off at 1.30pm. Participants are encouraged to decorate their bikes and paint their bodies with protest slogans. The ride is family friendly and part of national Bike Week (10-18 June). Although nudity is a powerful symbol of cyclists' vulnerability, it is not compulsory - the dress code is "as bare as you dare". People can choose to go fully naked, body painted, in swimwear or flamboyantly dressed in carnivalesque outfits. If you've always wanted to ride, this is the year to join and make a big statement.
Riders will pass many local landmarks on their city centre "naked sightseeing" experience: Brighton Palace Pier, i360, Hove Lawns, Churchill Square and the Royal Pavilion. The final destination is Black Rock naturist beach, where participants can go for a refreshing swim and relax after the ride is over.
A post-ride party from 6.30pm until late will be hosted by the Volks Club on Madeira Drive near the Pier. There will be food, local live musicians, bike cocktails, dancing and a raffle. Dress code: pants!
For post-ride party tickets and further information about the ride, visit http://worldnakedbikeride.org/brighton
- ends -
Notes for editors
Brighton Naked Bike Ride
Sunday 11 June 2017
Meet 12 noon at The Level park
Union Road, Brighton BN2 3FX
Brighton web links:
* Website: http://worldnakedbikeride.org/brighton
* Press office: http://pressdispensary.co.uk/bnbr
* Twitter: http://twitter.com/btnnakedbike
* Facebook event: http://facebook.com/events/860000374143468
* Facebook page: http://facebook.com/pages/0/116674705198
World Naked Bike Ride: http://worldnakedbikeride.org
UK rides information: http://wnbr.org.uk
Bike Week 2017, 10-18 June
Bike Week is an annual opportunity to promote cycling, and show how cycling can easily be part of everyday life by encouraging 'everyday cycling for everyone'. Demonstrating the social, health and environmental benefits of cycling, the week aims to get people to give cycling a go all over the UK, whether this be for fun, as a means of getting around to work or school, the local shops or just to visit friends.
Facts and figures
* 200th anniversary of the bicycle: On 12 June 1817, Baron Karl von Drais in Germany demonstrated his invention of a two-wheeled horseless vehicle propelled by its rider, known as the draisienne, the forerunner of the modern bicycle.
* Minimum emission reductions required by UK as advised by the government's Committee On Climate Change: Over 80 percent by 2050
* World Naked Bike Ride started in 2004. Brighton's first ride was in 2006.
In the news
* BBC News, 23 Nov 2016:
Air pollution is causing around 467,000 premature deaths in Europe
* BBC News, 23 Feb 2016:
UK air pollution 'linked to 40,000 early deaths a year'
* Green Car Reports, 29 Jul 2014:
1.2 Billion Vehicles On World's Roads Now, 2 Billion By 2035
* World Health Organisation, 25 Mar 2014:
7 million premature deaths in the world annually linked to air pollution http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/air-pollution/en/
Photos available to download:
* Brighton Naked Bike Ride 2016 (pixelated photo)
Please credit: Photograph © Graham Brown 2016:
* Press Dispensary: http://pressdispensary.co.uk/image_library/q99432.php
* Getty Images: http://gettyimages.co.uk/photos/brighton-naked-bike-ride?excludenudity=false
* Rex Features: http://rexfeatures.com/search/?kw=brighton+naked+bike+ride
* Alamy: http://alamy.com/search/Imageresults.aspx?qt=brighton+naked+bike+ride
(Naked photos are hidden on Alamy - you will need a free account to view them)
For further information please contact
Duncan Blinkhorn / Nick Sayers, Ride co-organisers
Brighton Naked Bike Ride
Tel: +44 (0) 7944 152706 / +44 (0) 7812 036415